Wednesday, March 4, 2009

What's in a Brand?




Have you ever thought long and hard about branding? I have... Having a Graphic Arts background, I used to be one of the many who thought that a brand was just the name a logo.
How UNTRUE is that?

A brand is everything around and about the company.

It's way you praise or tell the company to "fuck off"!

It's the logo, letter heads, font

It's how you feel and how the company wants you to feel when you think or interact with the company

It's how the company interacts with other company's

It's the PR, Press releases around the company
So, when people say branding is boring, I think they just don't bother to understand it

I know this sounds a bit "lofty" but, it's true isn't it?

1 comment:

  1. I'm also searching for the quickest way to sum up what a brand is, and thus far I think the best one-word description is: personality. Personality is both physical (logo, colors, etc) as well as tonal (message, media, etc). This also provides an easy test for a brand: does your brand's physical personality match the tonal personality? It's a simple pass/fail test that every brand should continuously ask itself.

    ReplyDelete